Critically acclaimed pianist/composer Gabriel Guerrero comes from a new generation of contemporary musicians emerging in the Jazz scene. Addressing music for its drive, direction and roots rather than styles, Gabriel has gone from South American rhythms, Contemporary Improvisation, Avant Garde to the traditions of Be-Bop and Jazz. Gabriel exalts his music with a high understanding of its roots bringing his experience and diversity to the table. Born in Colombia and based in New York City for almost twenty years, Gabriel began his classical training at age five, giving concerts and TV appearances at age nine, Gabriel have performed in Jazz Festivals in South America, USA, Asia and is a high demand musician in the scene today. Gabriel has been featured on “Power of Love” the debut record by Herbie Hancock’s long time drummer Gene Jackson’s Trio NuYorx released on Whirlwind Recordings in 2018. As a leader Guerrero performed with his own Trio for over 15 years and founding QUΔΠTUM Trio & Quartet in 2015 performing regularly in New York. Some past members of his trio include drummer Rudy Royston, and bassist, Linda Oh.
” Gabriel is a real improviser ” – Jerry Bergonzi
On 2012 “FEYAS” is the new released album on Surca Music, featuring seven original songs and 2 arrangements. Musicians on the album include the Gabriel Guerrero Trio featuring Jorge Roeder-bass, Eric Doob-drums, plus other line ups including Jerry Bergonzi-sax, Bruce Gertz-bass, Samuel Torres-percussion among others. The album contains songs with Colombian rhythms such as Porro, Bullerengue, as well as contemporary jazz songs showcasing Guerrero’s strong intellect and versatility on his writing and arranging. All About Jazz review of the album says, “He is well on his way to staking out a claim as one of the rising pianists in contemporary jazz.”As a sideman Gabriel can be heard on the recently released Bruce Gertz Quintet recordings “Reptilian Fantasies” and “It Wasn’t Me” featuring Jerry Bergonzi, and “Panama Suite” (Artist Share 2008) by the Danilo Perez Big Band featuring Danilo Perez on electric piano and Gabriel on acoustic piano plus a 19-piece big band.
“Truly a freethinker bringing diversity to the stage” – Anthony D.J Branker
He has performed with Paquito D’ Rivera, Dave Holland, Steve Coleman, Roy Hargrove, George Garzone, Mike Mainieri, Esperanza Spalding, Adam Nusbaum, Gene Jackson, Dafnis Prieto, John Riley, Mike Clark, Bob Moses, Michael Spiro, Anthony Branker, Gregg Bissonette, Michael Wimberley, Jamey Haddad, and recently performing regular gigs with the Jerry Bergonzi and the Bruce Gertz Quartets.He has also put together various musical projects such as SURCA, a multi-cultural quartet dedicated to expanding on South American rhythms and avant-garde jazz.
“A dazzling pyrotechnician and accomplished composer” -Jazz Times
“One of our most talented performers and composers”-Steve Lacy
“Guerrero firmly establishes his voice here as he adds to the remarkably growing literature of Latin American instrumental music.” – Latin Jazz Network
“Guerrero evokes classical piano tradition as well as Mulgrew Miller, Keith Jarrett”- The New York City Jazz Record
HONORS AND AWARDS:
- UIS Award, XXXI UIS International Piano Festival – Bucaramanga, Colombia – 2014
- ASCAP Plus Award – New York, NY – 2013
- Certificate Outstanding Service to Jazz Education, IAJE International Association of Jazz Education – New York, NY – 2006
- NEC Merit Award, The New England Conservatory of Music – Boston, MA 2004
- NEC Scholarship, The New England Conservatory of Music – Boston, MA 2000-2004, 2004-2006
- NEC Grant, The New England Conservatory of Music – Boston, MA 2001-2004
- Fellowship, Ravinia’s Steans Music Institute – Highland Park, IL 2004
- Scholarship, Hunter College – The City University of New York – New York, NY 2000
- First Prize, Concerto/Aria Competition – New York, NY 1999
- First Prize, Silver Moon Festival – Bogota, Colombia 1995
- Scholarship, Manhattan School of Music – New York, NY 1992